Ukraine Beyond is about a journey through a country that has been through a lot from the 1986 Nuclear disaster of Chernobyl to the 2014 Ukrainian Revolution. The video touches on its dark past, a new hope of this generation, and the extremely lively experience I had that will hopefully shed light on Ukraine as one of the best countries to visit in Europe.
For this travel video, I started off with a title sequence that is fully inspired by the HBO mini-series, Chernobyl. As the video journeyed you through the post-apocalyptic city of Pripyat, I wanted to convey the dark past of the country which is a great way to start off any journey so that one will understand where Ukraine and its people are coming from.
The next sequence begins with hope in the visualization of Eastern Orthodoxy, the prime religion of Ukraine, and then the video picks up from there accompanied by uplifting music and imagery.
The reason why I named the video, Ukraine Beyond is because I wanted to show you what Ukraine is, beyond its stereotype and stigma that you often see in the media like Chernobyl and its conflict with Russia.
Through the beautiful city of Kyiv, the lively cultural capital of Lviv, the Pearl of the Black Sea Odesa, the hidden gems of Kharkiv, and the Carpathians Mountains, I hope this travel video will inspire you to consider visiting Ukraine sometime soon!
I hope you enjoy the video as much as I do making them! :)
Location: Kyiv, Tunnel of Love, Lutsk, Lviv, Yaremche, Mt. Hoverla, Chernivtsi, Kamianets-Podilskyi, Odesa, and Kharkiv
Music: Interlude for a Broken Mind by Neon Ridge and First by Loya via Artlist.io
Camera: Sony a6500. Here's is why the Sony a6500 is the best travel camera to buy.
Camera Lens: 16 - 70mm F4 Zeiss lens mainly but a few other lenses too. Here's a list of all the camera lenses I recommended.
Further Reading for Ukraine
Looking for more information for your trip to Ukraine? Here is a collection of articles about Ukraine that might help you with your trip planning:
- Ukraine is one of the few hidden gems left in Europe and in order to see the country and all it has to offer, you will need a complete travel guide. Here is a One Month Itinerary for Ukraine.
- Ukraine has recently loosened up their borders a little to non-European travelers with an E-Visa program. Here is my experience applying for an E-Visa for Ukraine and things I wish I knew before applying.
- Of course, one of the reasons why you are visiting Ukraine is to learn more about Chernobyl nuclear disaster and what better way to learn about it than to go in the field and see it with your own eyes. Here is a complete guide on how to visit Chernobyl.
- If you think Kyiv is just good for Chernobyl and Brutalist architecture enthusiasts, then you are in for a big surprise when you find out how awesome the city is. Here are top 18 things to do in Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Are you a coffee snob like I do? If so, then you will love Kyiv and its unmatched indie cafe-culture. Here are 8 best indie cafes you should check out in Kyiv, Ukraine.
- The Tunnel of Love is one of the most photogenic attractions in Ukraine, and it would be a shame to miss it on your trip to Ukraine. Here’s a complete guide on how to visit the Tunnel of Love independently.
- Thinking of visiting the Tunnel of Love and not sure where to base yourself out of? I would recommend Lutsk and here are 8 best things to do that will make you fall in love with Lutsk.
- Lviv is the cultural capital city of Ukraine. It is what St. Petersburg is to Russia, Prague is to Czechia, and Krakow is to Poland. It is the most European city out of all Ukraine and it has so many things to do, you will need a great guide to navigate it. Here are 10 Best Things you should do in Lviv, Ukraine.
- Lviv is another great city to go cafe-hopping if you love coffee and here are my Top 10 Cozy Cafes in Lviv you should check out.
- Getting bored of cities? How about we go and hike some of the stunning trails in the Carpathian Mountains? Here is a complete hiking guide to Yaremche and Ukraine Carpathian Mountains.
- One of the most impressive architectural wonders in Ukraine is Chernivtsi National University in Chernivtsi, a remnant from the Austro-Hungarian Empire time that still survives today. Here are 7 Best Things to Do in Chernivtsi, Ukraine.
- Kamianets-Podilskyi, an island city home to Kamianets-Podilskyi Castle, one of the most beautiful castles in Ukraine, is a place that seems like it came straight out of a fairy tale and a place that you should not miss. Here’s a backpacking guide and top 8 things to do in Kamianets-Podilskyi.
- Odesa is known as the Pearl of the Black Sea and in order to understand why you will need to dive deep into its history and even further down underground into its infamous catacomb. Here is a complete guide on tourist attractions and 8 great things to do in Odesa.
- You may not have heard of Kharkiv before, but once you see what I saw when I was traveling in that city, your mind will be blown away at how beautiful it is. Here are the 10 best things to do in Kharkiv, Ukraine.
- Did you know that Kharkiv is also home to the prettiest metro stations in Ukraine? Here are 8 most beautiful metro stations to check out in Kharkiv.
- Want to know where to go after Ukraine? How about visiting Poland, drop by Kosice in Slovakia or go bar-hopping in Budapest, Hungary? We have travel guides for those too.
- For all articles about Ukraine, visit Ukraine Travel Guide page.
- You can see all my Eastern Europe related articles on my Eastern Europe Travel Guide page.
- You can also see all my Europe related articles here: Europe Travel Guide page.
- For more of my travel guides like this, visit my Destinations page.